INTERNATIONAL ATOMIC ENERGY AGENCY
In reply please refer to: 621-I2-TM-43466
I have the honour to inform you that the International Atomic Energy Agency (lAEA) is planning to hold a Joint IAEA-JRC/EC Technical Meeting on Assessment of Safety of Operating Nuclear Power Plants, from 3 to 5 December 2012. The purpose of the meeting is to provide an international forum to review and exchange international and national assessment results. The following objectives will be implemented during the meeting:
– to share international experiences and lessons learned, as well as to exchange views on methods and strategies to implement recommendations drawn in the assessments;
– to develop strategy and guidance for verification of effectiveness of implementation; and
– to strengthen the international networking of operational and regulatory specialists in the analysis of the Fukushima accident.
Approximately 28 persons from 28 nominating countries and 2 international organizations are expected to attend, as well as representative(s) from the IAEA.
Informal discussions held with Mr Marc Noel, Nuclear Programme Coordinator, Institute for Energy and Transport, Joint Research Centre-European Commission (JRC-EC), Westerduinweg 3, P.O. Box 2, 1755 ZG Petten (Tel: +31-224-56-5239, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org) have indicated that suitable premises and facilities could be made available at JRC-EC head office in Petten, the Netherlands.
I have the honour to enquire whether your Government would wish to host this meeting and, of so, whether your Government would agree to make the following arrangements:
1. The Government of the Netherlands (hereinafter referred to as the Government) will accord to the IAEA, its property, funds and assets, and to the officials of the IAEA and participants officially designated to attend the meeting in their official capacities, and to members of the immediate families of such persons, the privileges and immunities contained in the Agreement on the Privileges and lmmunities of the International Atomic Energy Agency, which was accepted by the Government on 29 August 1963.
2. The Government will accord to the officials and participants mentioned above every facility necessary for the performance of their functions in connection with the meeting, including entering, remaining in and leaving the Netherlands. The Government will issue any necessary visas as expeditiously as possible and, where the legislation of the Netherlands permits, free of charge. The Government, however, reserves the right to deny, irrespective of nationality, visas to individual participants for national security reasons. Annex A contains the list of Member States and international organizations to be invited to participate in the meeting.
The IAEA will inform the Government promptly of all persons officially designated to attend the meeting. The IAEA will also advise such persons to apply for visas, if necessary, in good time before the opening date of the meeting, and the Government is expected to issue such visas promptly so as to allow them to attend the meeting.
3. The Government will facilitate customs formalities for the persons referred to above when they enter and leave the Netherlands.
4. The Government will, at no cost to the IAEA, make adequate and appropriate premises and facilities available for the entire duration of the meeting as listed in Annex B.
5. The Government will exercise reasonable care to ensure security on the premises where the meeting takes place and to ensure the safety of the persons mentioned in paragraph 1 above while they are on those premises. The Government will take whatever steps may be reasonable in the circumstances to ensure such security and safety, including such supervision of the premises as may be warranted.
Mr Ki-Sig Kang of the Division of Nuclear Power has been appointed Scientific Secretary of the meeting.
Should your Government wish to host this meeting, I would be grateful if you would inform me in writing of your Government's agreement to the above enumerated points by 24 August 2012 so as to enable the Secretariat to proceed with timely arrangements.
Accept, Sir, the assurances of my highest consideration.
Annex A: List of Member States and Organizations to be Invited
Annex B: List of Facilities and Resources to be Provided by the Government Free of Charge
H.E. Mr. Alphons Hamer
Resident Representative of the Netherlands to the IAEA
Opernring 5/7th floor