The Hague, 27 February 2009
Agreement between the Kingdom of the Netherlands and ITC-UNESCO regarding the registration of interns
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of the Netherlands presents its compliments to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation concerning the ITC-UNESCO Centre for Integrated Surveys (herinafter referred to as ITC-UNESCO) and, with reference to the Exchange of letters between the Government of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization constituting an Agreement concerning the ITC-UNESCO Centre for Integrated Surveys of 1 June 1978 as well as to the consultations between the Ministry and ITC-UNESCO regarding the registration of interns who have been accepted by ITC-UNESCO into its internship programme in the Netherlands, has the honour to propose the following:
1. For the purpose of this Agreement, the following definition of an intern shall apply: A student, who has been accepted by ITC-UNESCO into the internship programme of the ITC-UNESCO and who, on that basis, performs certain tasks for ITC-UNESCO for which he or she will receive a monthly allowance. This allowance should cover his or her living expenses. An intern shall in no case fall under the definition of an official of the ITC-UNESCO.
2. Within eight (8) days after first arrival of an intern in the Netherlands, ITC-UNESCO shall request the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to register the intern in accordance with paragraph 3.
3. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs shall register an intern for the purpose of his internship with ITC-UNESCO for a maximum period of six months, provided that ITC-UNESCO supplies the Ministry of Foreign Affairs with a declaration signed by the intern, accompanied by adequate proof, to the effect that:
a) the intern entered the Netherlands in accordance with the applicable immigration procedures;
b) the intern has sufficient financial means for living expenses and for repatriation, as well as sufficient medical insurance (including coverage of costs of hospitalization for at least the duration of the internship plus one month) and third party liability insurance, and will not be a charge on the public purse of the Netherlands;
c) the intern will not work in the Netherlands during his or her internship otherwise than as an intern at ITC-UNESCO;
d) the intern will not bring any family members to reside with him or her in the Netherlands other than in accordance with the applicable immigration procedures;
e) the intern will leave the Netherlands within 14 days after the end of the internship unless he or she is otherwise entitled to stay in the Netherlands in accordance with the applicable Immigration legislation.
4. Upon registration of the intern in accordance with paragraph 3, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs shall issue an identity card bearing the code ZF to the intern.
5. ITC-UNESCO shall not incur liability for damage resulting from non-fulfilment, by interns registered in accordance with paragraph 3, of the conditions of the declaration referred to in that paragraph.
6. Interns shall not enjoy any privileges or immunities.
7. In exceptional circumstances, the maximum period of six months mentioned in paragraph 3 may be extended once by a maximum period of six months.
8. ITC-UNESCO shall notify the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the final departure of the intern from the Netherlands within eight (8) days after such departure, and shall at the same time return the intern’s identity card.
If this proposal is acceptable to ITC-UNESCO, the Ministry suggests that this Note and the ITC-UNESCO’s affirmative reply to it shall together constitute an Agreement between the Kingdom of the Netherlands and ITC-UNESCO. This Agreement shall be applied provisionally as from the date of such reply and shall enter into force on the day after both Parties have notified each other in writing that the legal requirements for entry into force have been complied with.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of the Netherlands avails itself of this opportunity to renew to ITC-UNESCO the assurances of its highest consideration.
ITC-UNESCO Centre for Integrated Surveys