INTERNATIONAL ATOMIC ENERGY AGENCY
Vienna, 16 September 2009
In reply please refer to: NSF09036
I have the honour to inform you that the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is planning to hold a Regional Training Course on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material and Nuclear Facilities from 26 October to 6 November 2009.
The purpose of the training course is to increase awareness of the need for an integrated system of physical protection for nuclear facilities, that would be effective against the threat of radiological sabotage and theft of nuclear and other radioactive material and the course will also familiarize participants with current concepts and techniques of physical protection in accordance with the international nuclear security instruments and the IAEA’s Nuclear Security Series documents. Approximately 30 persons from 16 countries are expected to attend, as well as representative(s) from the IAEA.
Informal discussions held with Mr. Bart Dal from the Inspectorate of the Ministry of Housing, Spatial Planning and the Environment of the Netherlands have indicated that suitable premises and facilities could be made available in Delft.
I have the honour to enquire whether your Government would wish to host this regional training course and, if so, whether your Government would agree to make the following arrangements:
1. The Government of the Netherlands (hereinafter referred to as the Government) will accord to the IAEA, its property, funds and assets, and to the officials of the IAEA and participants officially designated to attend the training course in their official capacities, and to members of the immediate families of such persons, the privileges and immunities contained in the Agreement on the Privileges and Immunities of the International Atomic Energy Agency, which was accepted by the Government on 29 August 1963.
2. The Government will accord to the officials and participants mentioned above every facility necessary for the performance of their functions in connection with the training course, including entering, remaining in and leaving the Netherlands. The Government will issue any necessary visas as expeditiously as possible and, where the legislation of the Netherlands permits, free of charge. The Government, however, reserves the right to deny, irrespective of nationality, visas to individual participants for national security reasons. Annex A contains the list of Member States to be invited to participate in the training course.
The IAEA will inform the Government promptly of all persons officially designated to attend the training course. The IAEA will also advise such persons to apply for visas, if necessary, in good time before the opening date of the training course, and the Government is expected to issue such visas promptly so as to allow them to attend the training course.
3. The Government will facilitate customs formalities for the persons referred to above when they enter and leave The Netherlands.
4. The Government will, at no cost to the IAEA, make adequate and appropriate premises and facilities available for the entire duration of the training course as listed in Annex B.
5. The Government will exercise reasonable care to ensure security on the premises where the training course takes place and to ensure the safety of the persons mentioned in paragraph 1 while they are on those premises. The Government will take whatever steps may be reasonable in the circumstances to ensure such security and safety, including such supervision of the premises as may be warranted.
Mr. Arvydas Stadalnikas of the Office of Nuclear Security has been appointed Scientific Secretary of the meeting.
Should your Government wish to host this training course, I would be grateful if you would inform me in writing of your Government’s agreement to the above enumerated points so as to enable the Secretariat to proceed with timely arrangements.
Accept, Sir, the assurances of my highest consideration.
Deputy Director General
Department of Nuclear Safety and Security
Annex A: List of Member States of the IAEA to be invited to participate in the training course
Annex B: List of responsibilities for facilities and resources
H.E. Mr Alphons Hamer
Resident Representative of the Netherlands to the IAEA
Opernring 5/ 7th floor