Through an international Agreement concluded on 29 November 1924, the Governments of Spain, France, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal and Tunisia gathered to create an International Wine Office.
Following a decision of its member states on 4 September 1958, the office was renamed International Vine and Wine Office. This intergovernmental organisation has, at the date of 3 April 2001, forty-five member states.
The General Assembly of the International Vine and Wine Office, in its resolution COMEX 2/97, made at its session of 5 December 1997, held in Buenos Aires (Argentina), decided to proceed, as necessary, with the adaptation of the International Vine and Wine Office to the new international environment. This involved adapting its missions, its human, material and budgetary resources and, as appropriate, its procedures and operating rules, in order to meet the challenges and secure the future of the world vine and wine sector.
In application of Article 7 of the above-mentioned Agreement the Government of the French Republic, following a request from 36 member states, convened a Conference of member states on 14, 15, 22 June 2000 and on 3 April 2001 in Paris.
To this end the member states of the International Vine and Wine Office, hereafter referred to as the Parties, have agreed to the following: